Tuesday 4 May 2010

Garlic-Fest Hummus

I love garlic. Almost as much as cheese, in fact. Garlic makes the world taste better, it wards off vampires and it is good for your heart. What more do you want???
Plus, with garlic, you don't need to worry about kissing your French boyfriend/girlfriend as it's more than likely he/she loves the stuff too.

I also love hummus and if you have a blender, there is no reasonable excuse not to make your own hummus instead of buying that bland pap from the supermarket...

To knock up this stinker of a hummus, you'll need:

1 can chickpeas in salt water
3 tablespoons of tahini (sesame cream)
2 tablespoons of good olive oil
4-5 fat cloves of garlic
handful of pinenuts
pinch of paprika/dried chilli
handful of fresh coriander

bung the lot in a blender, press the "whizz" button until you achieve the consistency you prefer (I like it chunky, some like it smooove). If its too dry, add more tahini or olive oil, as you prefer.

Serve with toasted pitta bread, a plate of roast red peppers and some grilled aubergine and courgettes for a full dinner! Breathe on people for fun...





1 comment:

The Compassionate Hedonist said...

Very interesting Hummus recipe! I like the coriander, I've never had it like this. I also love garlic. I think I am the only pale person in the Roman August that doesn't get attacked by mosquitoes and sand flies. I give it to my dogs, too. I am sure I stink, but how would I know? Ettore eats the food I make. So we are happy.